Two things. First, you are right, it passes the signals through from the radio.
The second is that it can break the PTT line (in that pass-through) when the
KAT needs to tune or otherwise change the relays while the system is
transmitting (PTT being active).

Note that both the KAT and the KPA use many of the signals on the AuxIO. These
include the BAND lines, PTT, and importantly, the AuxBus line. The KPA500 talks
on the Auxbus (but does not listen), while the KAT listens on the Auxbus.
Because of the way the KPA encodes its data, the KAT cannot receive any data
from the KPA, but only that coming from the transceiver. That is kind of an
important point - there is no communications between the KPA500 and the KAT500,
which eliminates the ability to do really close control between the two.

73!
Jack, W6FB