From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Rick Bates, NK7I
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 3:33 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KAT500 Anomalies

The short answer is you 'teach' the tuner on each 'bin' frequency what
the settings are for a good match (with each antenna, each on it's own
antenna port).  Then you put the tuner into manual mode; which still
adjusts the matching values as the frequency changes BUT disables the
retune feature.  You DO need to pay attention to SWR, that should be
second nature anyway.

Every time you 'teach' a value into the bin (one per antenna port), it
overwrites the previous value(s) so no, you won't run out of memory.

One thing I would do is check the tuner component values from your
baseline (dry, sunny day) to the current values, it's possible that
something is changing on the antenna more than usual (ladder/window line
DOES change a little when wet or windy and near other 'things').  If the
changes are small, you'll be fine.  Any major shift in values (or SWR)
should be evaluated for cause (broken wire opens when windy?).

I suggest that you limit the amount of feedline movement, if possible (I
tied mine with a cord, to the fence, then it ran to the shack, slightly
tensioned just enough to compensate for tree movement, not free sway).
That reduces the seasonal affects.

You could also compare un-tuned SWR to see if there is a radical change,
but SWR is not the entire story of the load (it's a composite measurement).

Of course, make sure that your matching device (balun has variable
meanings making that name, useless) has tight, clean weather resistant
connections and isn't bothered by weather or seasonal debris (leaves).

I came across similar changes when I used a 375' center fed dipole (80M
EDZ) at only 35' (oaks didn't grow much taller), window line fed into a
4:1 common mode choke transformer and a SHORT piece of coax into the
shack.  It worked well on all bands, I managed over 200 countries
despite the local noises (noise floor ~-80 dBm).  Now I use a resonant
antenna (80-6M plus one on 160M) which is MUCH simpler (but expensive)
with a noise floor typically in the -120 dBm range (ah, quiet!  I moved
away from the noise).

73,
Rick NK7I

Message delivered to l...@lnainc.com