Usually any kernel update has to do with security issues (that's a very broad stroke) so freezing it would leave security gaps or known issues.

Then there are files that constantly seem to update (i.e. the time zone files are a constant state of update; who knew it was so tough to figure zone changes?).

And there may be improved drivers for the hardware, which may break things relying on eccentricities of the old driver...  Or drivers for new hardware since the last release instead of the generic driver that was used.

I randomly update my linux machines, no pattern at all but months apart is a fair guess.  They don't have many ports or services available so while they're still attacked, so far, there haven't been any successful break ins.  I also split the duties to various computers around the house (the router knows all and puts one linux box in the DMZ and it's secure enough to handle it).  Without knowing what I did, the end user doesn't have a clue what machine or OS I'm using.

Sometimes even the version (and support) have had a major update, which may change a lot of things in one pass. That's not always good.

Often the audio breaks because the app used to manipulate or process the audio is deprecated; so scripts or similar that call the apps must be adapted...

It's an evolving OS as any other, which means changes.

I'm sure Elecraft will stay on top of it.  Keep the faith.  Their name and rep is on the line and they treat things in that manner.

73,
Rick NK7I