Hi Bill,

Just a general remark:

I think we need to divide protection into different topologies/ barriers/
zones. This is  according to threat phenomena ( e.g. xxx kilo Amps to milli
Amps and smaller ).

Threat levels need to be reduced step by step  and systematically.
Surge Limiters / Filtering / Shielding / System Layout with minimizing
coupling effects are part of this.

Protection against any threat level ( EMI energy / current / voltage /EM
field derivatives)  can/should realistically and economically not be
implemented just finally at the radio itself.

Lightning is first of all a more external system problem (Tower / Station
Single Entry Panel Point / Cable- Layout, loop, spark over voltage /
conductor melting/welding...).
While lower threat levels, like adverse subsystem (shack) coupling of
transients / continuous waves etc. -EMI/ESD Immunity- are certainly part of
the good EMC radio/design .

Professional EMC Standards (EU-HAM Radio, EN ETSI  301783...

https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/301700_301799/301783/02.01.01_60/en_301
783v020101p.pdf

and specific System Experience http://k9yc.com/publish.htm  -also from big
contest stations-  tell you what to do in HAM Radio electronics.

Tnx, Cu, vy 73 de Andy
HB9CVQ, DK2VQ, AK4IG

https://www.qrz.com/db/HB9CVQ