This is VERY good advice. The most important thing we can do to minimize lightning damage is to seriously implement proper grounding and bonding in our stations and throughout our homes. N0AX's ARRL Book on the topic is a great reference; I collaborated with him on it. Also study the slides for talks I've done at west coast hamfests. Don't let the word "audio" in the link fool you. This is about EVERY element of grounding and bonding specifically for ham radio.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

Another VERY important thing is to NEVER use shunt mode (MOV) type surge protectors anywhere except at the Service Entrance (where power enters the building). MOVs are more likely to CAUSE destructive failure than to prevent it.

Surge-X, Brick Wall, and a third company whose name I've forgotten make series-mode surge protectors. They're more expensive, but a LOT cheaper than our radios. There's a brief discussion of series-mode vs shunt mode beginning on page 28 of this link

http://k9yc.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf

A far more extensive discussion begins with slide #69 in this link. It's by Andy Benton, a very good engineer who designed the Surge-X products. This is the first part of a 4-hour talk that Andy and I did at conventions for companies designing and installing professional audio and video systems in public buildings and for corporate operations.

http://k9yc.com/InfoComm-PowerSystems2012.pdf

My good friend Bill is right on about very high currents and voltages being induced on wiring inside our homes. In addition to antennas, lightning comes in on power lines, telephone lines, and CATV lines.

Finally, I want to emphasize what I said at the start about doing this VERY seriously. Lightning has a way of finding things we didn't do.

73, Jim K9YC