According to another ham who recently posted here, he had to "tighten" the plates on the MFJ capacitor to get it to work properly.  That doesn't sound like they are welded, and given the cost difference for welded air variables I doubt MFJ used them.

I sincerely doubt that an actual practical small loop is only down 3 dB from a full size antenna.  That makes no sense to me at all.  If that were the case everyone would be using one, because they are not that difficult to make ... at least for manually tuned ones.

But you seem determined to believe differently, and it's not my place to convince you otherwise.  You asked for inputs and I have made mine.  Hopefully you are right and I am wrong.

73,
Dave   AB7E

On 1/18/2021 9:54 PM, Alan Bloom wrote:
> There is a reason why top quality variable capacitors often use welded plates.

I believe they do weld the capacitor plates and also weld the loop to the capacitor.  (I don't have one, but that's what I've read.)

> Yours is a limited theoretical analysis ... not a practical one.

A number of reviews I have read (including the QST review of August 1994) have reported comparable performance to full-sized wire antennas located on the same site.  If the loop is down by, say, 3 dB, that's only half an S unit, which would hardly  be noticeable in the QSB of a typical amateur band.

As I see it, the advantages of the MFJ-1786 10-30 MHz loop are:

- Continuous coverage on 6 amateur bands.  A convenient way to cover all the WARC bands.
- Small and light.
- Omni-directional (when mounted horizontally)  so does not need a rotor.
- No control cable required - control voltage is fed through the coax.
- Narrow bandwidth provides excellent RF selectivity.  Might be good on Field Day to reduce inter-station QRM. - Users have reported lower receiver noise compared to wire antennas.  No doubt that is because the isolated pickup loop prevents feedline radiation/pickup.

And the disadvantages:

- Expensive ($500 list price)
- Less gain than a simple dipole (although you would theoretically need 6 of them).
- Fiddly to tune.  If you QSY too far you have to re-tune.
- MFJ quality control leaves something to be desired.  (You may have to open it up when you get it and  make minor repairs.) - You have to pay attention to the problem of entry of water and/or bugs into the housing. - The controller can be damaged by a DC short in the coax e.g. from an shorting-type antenna switch.  (I don't understand why MFJ didn't include a fuse or some other way to protect the controller.)

I probably wouldn't buy the 7-21 MHz MFJ-1788 because of the poor efficiency at 7 MHz.  I think you'd have a better signal just using the coax as a random end-fed wire (with a tuner).

Alan N1AL