Eric,

I have a NooElec R820T that does work from 25.85 MHz to 1766 MHz

Anything lower that that needs an upconverter afaik.
I can tell GQRX to go lower but it then detects nothing anymore...
GQRX is a Linux SDR program where a funcion that says "No limits" allows to tune higher and lower than these two frequency limits.

I suppose you more likely need an attenuator between the upmixer and the dongle.

73,
Peter PA0PJE