I met two Metcal engineers (retired) at the SVARO.org swap meet and they showed me a lot. They said they operate on 13.52MHz. They will go through a solder ingot one minute and solder SMT's the next. They said early models had no SWR foldback and they added 2 zeners for protection. Also look for small bolts near the F connector on the "power supply" (really transmitter) body. If they are missing, it generates RFI up to 800 MHz.
73,
Leigh/WA5ZNU