OK here's what you do. You get the handpiece to the Weller WTCPT and you just run it on DC. The base unit is just a transformer. Actually maybe not DC, run the handpiece on AC, use a transformer to step down your wall voltage and there you go. The temp control is all in the handpiece with these. Yes, Curie was a genius.

Goot makes good (or goot?) stuff. Hakko is also good.

For desoldering, I just use braid these days. I know enough about Pace desoldering stuff to go work for 'em rebuilding their stations, but I just use braid. 73 de Alex NS6Y.