On 5/23/21 at 7:01 PM, jh3...@sumaq.jp (Keith Onishi) wrote:

Listening CW in crowded situation like contesting.  K3 is much better than KX3.
Operating in digital mode, you can neither listen to receiving signals nor monitor your own transmitting audio with KX3.

(No operating session is really complete without at least one SSB, digital, and CW QSO.)

I like digital modes and run both radios, the KX3 for portable operations and the K3 for "in the shack". Switching between digital and SSB on the KX3 is a PITA compared with the K3. On the KX3 I have to:

  Unplug the microphone and plug in the computer sound card.
  Turn off the mic bias.
  Re-adjust the mic level.
  Turn on the VOX.

On the K3 I just have to turn on the VOX. All the cables stay in place.

On the KX3, I monitor the RX audio with a spliter cable feeding headphones and my computer. (I don't generally monitor TX audio with headphones on either radio.) I do tune RTTY via the monitored audio.

73 Bill AE6JV