Erik,

Yes, using auto ranging on the DMM can cause false readings.  Try to set the fixed range a bit above the highest expected resistance for the best results.  It all depends on the voltage the DMM applies to the circuit.  Too high a voltage can make ICs and transistors conduct causing a low reading.

73,
Don W3FPR