I don't think this design would be acceptable in modern consumer equipment, at least not in Europe. Typically they would have an auxiliary power supply for the microcontroller, to reduce power consumption to well under 1 watt, and maintain a reasonably good power factor, when in a soft power off state.

Current and voltage figures quoted elsewhere in the thread suggest over 10 watts and an unknown number of VA. There was a lot of campaigning to hard power off devices at a time when standby powers were more like 5 watts.