Doug,

You have had suggestions on this reflector on how to get in DATA A mode.
As far as audio levels are concerned, I have an article on my website www.w3fpr.com that may be helpful.
Scroll the left column to the last entry and click to open the document.

Bottom line is that you must have 4 bars solid on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flashing.  You may have up to 3 audio level controls to work with.  It is best to start with them all set to mid-range, then adjust from there.

73,
Don W3FPR