Hi Gareth,

An inch or two shorter counterpoise won't have much impact. Terrain, body
capacitance, height above ground, and cables from other attached accessories
contribute far more to SWR changes.

I wouldn't make the loop too large as this could result in snags when dragging
the counterpoise over brush, etc.

73,
Wayne
N6KR