Paul,

You must construct the special cable that is specified in the KIO2 manual - you can make it a short one if you want. That cable has a DE9 connector on the PC end which you can plug into a serial port or into a USB to serial adapter - The KUSB sold by Elecraft is a good choice -- if you choose another USB to serial adapter, make certain it uses the FTDI chipset.

73,
Don W3FPR