I use extension cord winders (orange in color, from Home Depot, rectangle
in shape, about 10 - 12 inches long.  Sorry, O can't recall the official
name).  As for the roped ends, I use glass insulators to fluorescent yellow
or fluorescent orange para-cord...about 50 feet worth on each end in order
to meet most total distances between trees, buildings or otherwise.  I also
keep a number of wire ties, velcro straps, small carabiners etc in the
"kit".  Not sure if this helps.

Gary, N7BRJ