5 S-units is way too much drop for even a simple T-connector. I see almost
the same loss whether I use a "real" splitter or a simple T-connector.

Bob, you say "right upper rear" which doesn't sound right. That's
approximately where the LINE IN-OUT phone jacks are located. Are you sure
you didn't mean "right center rear?" Your external SDR needs to be
connected to the RX ANT IN-OUT BNC connectors. They're the two left-most
BNCs as you look at the rear panel. Also, check to make sure you have a
good twist connection on both BNCs. If you're using a splitter, its common
connection should go to RX ANT OUT and its two output connections should go
to RX ANT IN and the SDR.

73,

/Rick N6XI

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 1:08 PM Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you use a splitter in the loop between RX out and RX in?  Loss with
> a splitter is more on the order of 3-4 dB.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> Check out the new Reverse Beacon Network
> web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
> For spots, please use your favorite
> "retail" DX cluster.
>
> On 12/4/2021 3:41 PM, Bob KD7YZ wrote:
> > Hello Elecraft List
> >
> > I recently got my K3 back from Elecraft. They'd upgraded it to K3s.
> >
> > I used to be able to run a cable from the Rx in out area on the
> right-upper-rear as I face it.
> >
> > That gave me antenna without the threat of RF into my SDRPlay.
> >
> > I tried Rx In and Out then pressing RX on teh front, but the S-Meter
> drops 5 S-Units.
> > Yeah, signal does go to thje SDR device, but at a huge loss to the
> regular operations.
> >
> > What am I not seeing here ?
> >

> > --
> > 73,