Ted,

You should be using the special cable from the PC (or USB to Serial adapter). That cable has no RTS or DTR wires in it, so it will not work for sending CW from N1MM.  In other words, DTR and RTS are not implemented in the K2.

Do NOT try to "fix" it by plugging the USB to serial adapter directly into the K2 - if it does not damage the K2, it will cause "strange happenings" in the K2 operation.

Either a 'one transistor' keying interface, or a K1EL Winkeyer will have to be used between the USB to serial adapter and the K2 key jack to make N1MM send CW in the K2.

73,
Don W3FPR