Tom,

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but hey,
it's only a virtual limb!

I am going to withdraw my previous statement
that the K3 SWR bridge is operating correctly.
Given what you've said, the ATU control algorithm
is receiving bad information from the SWR bridge.

Here's how to test this hypothesis:

-- use a different resistive load than 50 ohms, e.g. two
50 ohm loads in parallel using a tee-junction,
or build a higher resistance load using
several non-inductive power resistors, or
use a 4:1 balun reversed to present a 200 ohm
load to the ATU when balun terminated in 50 ohms.

-- put the KAT3 ATU in 'bypass' mode

-- measure SWR at low TX power (whatever
power the ATU uses automatically is fine
as long as your loads can tolerate the dissipation
briefly).

Schottky diodes D36 and D37 in the K3
SWR bridge detector circuit are known
to be sensitive to high voltage transients,
e.g. ESD or lightning-induced voltages.
Failure of either or both diodes produces
bad SWR estimates, which may not
be observed when using a good 50 ohm
termination.

If you have a good high impedance DC
voltmeter (DMM), you might check
the voltages VFWD and VREFL at the
outputs of the LM358 op amp unity
gain buffers (U16 on the K3 RF board)
to observe how each behaves with
different load resistances at the ANT
port(s).  If the VREFL voltage doesn't
change predictably with mismatched
loads, it could be that diode D37 has
failed.

A search of the old Elecraft reflector
and the separate K3 groups.io forum
reveals lots of discussion about anomalous
behavior of the ATU, frequently associated
with SWR bridge component failure.

73,
Mike, K8CN