Pete,

When using WWV to set the K3 reference, make certain you are listening to the carrier.  WWV is an AM signal that is modulated by a 500 or 600 Hz tone on alternate minutes (440 Hz 2 minutes after the hour).  That produces tones that are both above and below the carrier. So be certain you are hearing the carrier and not one of the modulating tones.

73,
Don W3FPR