I expect that ALC is being used for two different parts of the transmission
chain.

Audio ALC would reduce the dynamic range of the audio. That automatically
reduces the microphone gain to maintain a consistent level of modulation. That
would be inside the audio part of transmitter, before the modulator. No
external connector involved.

ALC between a transmitter and amplifier does use an external connector. That
kind of ALC reduces the transmitter power to try and avoid overdriving the
amplifier. It can cause overdriving and splatter.

Unlike the audio version, in amp ALC  the two parts of the control loop (sensor
and gain control) are in different boxes, maybe made by different
manufacturers. Because the response time and sensitivity of the transmitter
gain control are unknown, the system relies on luck to have a stable control
loop that doesn’t oscillate. The way to avoid oscillation is to have a slow
time constant on the sensor. That means that it just cannot respond quickly, so
overshoot will happen and will cause splatter. With audio ALC, the control loop
is an integrated whole and can be designed to be quick and stable.

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood
CM87wj