Dave and all,

I have not used the Pace desoldering tool, but I have plenty of experience with the Hakko 808. The vacuum pump needs to be disassembled and cleaned of solder flux occasionally and once that is done, it has plenty of suction.  That means the holes and plastic "flappers" in the pump need to be cleaned - I used alcohol successfully.  Pay attention (or take photos) when disassembling and it will go back together just fine.

Between the pump cleaning, it is necessary to clean out the nozzle after a dozen or so solder connections - use the tool that matches the nozzle diameter.  The larger "collector tube" that catches the solder needs to be cleaned as well.  You need to change the filters often - if you are using it a lot, keep a goodly supply of those ceramic filters on hand - they are not cheap, but become ineffective when they fill up with flux and solder bits (reduced vacuum).

I used it for over 10 years while repairing the Elecraft legacy products.
In fact I had 2 of them so I did not have to change from a small slender tip to a larger tip.  If you are using one constantly, having 2 is a big help, but that is not for everyone.  For similar reasons, when I was doing professional woodworking, I had 5 routers, 2 were dedicated to their attachments, but the other 3 were available to mount a variety of bits for the project being worked on.  A hobbyist can get along with one, but a professional wants dedicated tools - time is money.

73,
Don W3FPR