I have a similar story when I worked for Centronics back in the 1980s.

In the UK, we had one rework tech and he had the vacuum desoldering tool.
Mostly he would remove components, but sometimes the rest of us would do our
own work and the rework tech taught me how to use the tool properly and how to
clean it.

I can\t remember who made that tool, but I do remember a badge on it with the
word “Swaplater”.

I can’t say whether the cheap device I bought from Banged has as much suction
as the “Swaplater” but I find it adequate for my needs as a hobbyist.

73,
Alan - G4GNX