Now let me answer my own question. There is a key-line interrupter adapter that
I believe comes with the AUXIO cable. This is an HD-15 type adapter that will
block the PTT signal from the K3 to the AUXIO cable. Use this, then you will
need to connect the K3 to the KAT500/KPA500 using a phono cable. You will
probably want to add a switch so that you can select the K3 or Icom radios for
the PTT line to the KPA/KAT.

Once again, Fred Cady had the answer in his “Elecraft KPA500 Amplifier and
KAT500 Tuner” guide. I really miss that guy…

73,
Jack W6FB