You’re right, not all cables work. If you have one by Prolific, best advice is
to bin it.

Elecraft supplies a cable with the FTDi interface, or you can buy one
elsewhere. Don’t buy a cheap one, it’s a false economy.

The K3 utility should be the latest one from Elecraft. When you finally get the
port to show, ensure that the baud rate is set to 34800, just to be on the safe
side.

You may need to force a re-load by applying 13.8V power, then press and hold
the power button for at least 10 seconds. I forget the exact indicators, but
you will see the backlight go off.

73,
Alan - G4GNX