Yesterday I got a fault message on the K4 screen. It disappeared before I could see it fully, but I did get "tighten heatsink screws".  The fan was working as its speed was speeding up and the KPA500 temp saw about 60+C (it may have been higher).  I was running 100 watts PSK31.  The KPA500 did switch to STBY (I think).

I can not find any record of what the message was.  I can not find "heatsink screws" referenced in the K4, KPA500 or KPA1500 manuals.  Both the K4 and KPA500 are factory built.

PSK31 has a longer duty cycle than FT8 and I was running FT8 at higher power with out the amp temp going above 60C, earlier.  I switched to barefoot and ran 80W PSK31 without issue.

Question 1) Before I take the KPA500 apart, is this a problem or just duty cycle?  I would think the KPA500 would be able to handle 100W key down.

Question 2) I saved the K4 backup and diagnostic logs to USB disk (the next day).  I could NOT find anything that looked like the error messages.  I find many messages disappear before I get a chance to read them.

Wish 1) KPA500 add FAN CTL for both OPER and STBY or set STBY to run at NOR and OPER to be adjustable.

Wish 2) K4, allow checking date/time for all past error messages.  I may have had a KPA500 over temp message while long winded on SSB (but only 200W)?

Wish 3) K4, HOLD error messages until "confirmed".  Messages like KPA500 on/off (info) only need to be short time (??), but if away (maybe confirm).  Either way "this" will be an issue for  the contesters, so have a way to save for later recall, as in write to USB if one is installed.  Fn could write to USB disk with time stamp?  OR, are there documents on how to read the diagnostic logs?

73, steve WB3LGC

I will also send to support if no one has a good idea about the fault.