"Now, my question for everyone reading - when is it that you feel the need to
set the fan speed above 0?"

I coded my station controller to provide an option to start KPA 500 fan at
start of TX and have it run for a fixed time after TX stops.  My test data
showed no significant advantage in temperature control over just letting KPA
500 decide when to run the fan.

My KPA 500 is better instrumented than most.  I record KPA 500 finals
temperature, temperature at the "Z" bracket, temperature at a heat sink fin,
and fan speed, all at 1 Hz so I think I have a good data set.

I left the option in the code but do not enable it.  My minimum fan speed is
zero.

73,
Andy, k3wyc