On 5/11/2022 10:20 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
Low dipoles are closer to 50 ohms, high dipoles are closer to 75 ohms. Low would be much less than a quarter wave, high would be much more than a quarter wave.

BTW -- there are a couple of very useful graphics that help understand this at the beginning of Chapter 8 of ON4UN's "Low Band DXing," another great antenna book published by ARRL. One shows the ground reflection as a mirror, the other, paragraph 1.3.1 in my 20 year old edition, shows how feedpoint R and X vary with height for an 80M dipole. Ground conductivity is not shown, so I'm guessing it's computed for average ground.

And I agree with W4TV about the usefulness of the Antenna Book. I contribute both to it and to the Handbook. These three ARRL books have been central to my learning, in some ways, at least as important as my EE education.

73, Jim K9YC