Jack Smith wrote:

Hence, the resonator Q requirements for a 5 KHz filter at 40 MHz are not grossly different than for a 500 Hz filter at 4 MHz, which is quite achievable. But for a 400 Hz filter at 45 MHz, the required resonator Q's get into the million range.

Quite right! The first roofing filter that I built for trial used 12 inexpensive 36MHz crystals, not far from the IF to be used, with holder capacitance compensation and strung out in a ladder. While it's 6db bandwidth was a nominal 3 kHz and its shape factor was very good with virtually a symmetrical response, its ability to handle large signals was not good and a similar filter at the actual IF would have compromised the overall receiver performance. For a reason that I do not yet fully understand the problem appeared to centre around crystal #5, counting from the input.

The 3kHz and 1.5kHz roofing filters in use each consists of three four pole "crystal filter modules" each separated by very high IIP3 low noise push-pull amplifiers running at very low gain, but power hungry. To reduce the 6db bandwidth in the1.5kHz filter modules I have resorted to a "brute force" method by adding shunt crystals (Dishal) in each module. With the amplifiers the overall loss can be controlled, keeping in mind the overall receiver performance requirements.

Much too expensive for a commercial rig, there must be better ways to beat Q.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD