I have had the KAT-500 for many years and has been very reliable despite the abuse I have probably inflicted on which will become apparent.

Recently when using the KAT-500 I have noticed from time to time a fizzing noise. Wasn't sure where it was coming from. Then a couple of weeks ago I heard a load pop coming from it. However all seemed sort of okay. I took the top cover off and saw straight away that the 2 green wires. I think those are the ones in circuit diagram A-A, B-B, had fused together and possibly the popping sound was the wires short circuiting or flashing across. There was some residual burnt insulation on the board. It still seems to work apart from changing aerials. If for example I have been using Ant 2 say my 10m aerial and I switch manually to Ant 1, my 6m beam. When I apply power the aerial switches back to Ant 2. When I manually switch it back to Ant 1 all is fine! In the grand scheme of things I can live with it. Getting Elecraft equipment repaired in the UK is nigh on impossible now and it has to sent off to Italy. Not easy as a friend of mine found out.

So any ideas as to what might be the problem?

73

Jim G3RTE