Dave,

DO NOT PLUG THE USB TO SERIAL CABLE DIRECTLY  INTO THE KIO2!!  It will cause 'strange happpenings' and can even damage to the K2.

There is a special cable with a DE9 male on one end and a DE9 female on the other end.  The instructions for building it are in the KIO2 manual.  it does not have to be very long, but it MUST be in place between the USB to RS232 adapter and the KIO2 connector.

73,
Don W3FPR