Dave,

What is the serial number of your K2 - if it is below 3000 and has not been upgraded with the A to B mods, you could have damaged the MCU.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 5/27/2022 7:58 PM, Dave Sublette wrote:
Interesting. Thanks!

Dave

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 7:53 PM David Woolley <for...@david-woolley.me.uk>
wrote:

It's going to be similar to the application circuit in section 7.1 of
<https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/DS_FT232R.pdf>, except
that not all the wires may be connected, and, in particular, any that
conflict with the K2's use of a pin on the connector for Auxbus won't be
connected.  (The KIO2 documentation will tell you which pins are
actually used in a standard way.)

It's just possible that they have left out the level convertors, as it
would probably work without them.

Assuming it has the level convertors, the standard tool for looking at
what is happening will be something like this:
<
https://czh-labs.com/products/czh-labs-rs232-led-link-tester-module-db9-male-to-db9-female>

(picked at random from a Google search.  If it doesn't have level
convertors, the LEDs may only light up for one state, of the nominally
bipolar signal.  (If auxbus is on one of the monitored pins, it might be
disrupted, but the resistor on the LED should ensure that there is no
permanent damage.  It would be better to do it on the end of the
official KIO2 to RS232 cable, though.

Incidentally the S in USB stands for serial, but it is different, and
much more complex, serial protocol.

Also, I found the price eye watering, given what is probably in it; the
problem with very low production run products.  Things like Arduino
throw in all but the level convertors and DB9 connectors, as just part
of something that sells for under GBP 10, although current Arduinos use
an AtMega microcontroller chip, rather than the FTDI chip.

Before considering alternatives, do beware of the the vulnerable,
Auxbus, signal on the non-standard K2 connector.

My PC motherboard was selected because it had a real RS232C asynchronous
port.

--
David Woolley
Owner K2 06123