Please read my rant about Ham Qualifications and Technology.
We are at the mercy of MANY programmers and "software engineers."
The operating system people have no resistance to making things steadily more
obscure and complicated.
They don't know or care what the programmers of our many programs are doing and
have little incentive to find out.
The programmers typically have only a nodding acquaintance with what the
Operating System really does and don't have time/ability to find out.
WE are way out on a thin limb that gets more and more likely to break or sag
down to the ground.
All the people mentioned above are whittling away at the limb, each
contributing to its weakness/impending breakage, and none have much incentive
to help US.
I really hope you find it and I guarantee, if you do, there will be a gotcha
that someone will tell you should have seen and that will make you feel
inadequate!  In this area, we are all inadequate!
I know this doesn't help.  It's meant as sympathy.
I have been building and using computers since the 50s, when I helped build one
that used relays and I still have NO interest in software except to say what it
should do, at which I've been pretty successful.
Good luck and remember, there are knobs on the radio and they will probably
work for you, since the software in the radio has likely had a few years to get
sorted out and the worst bugs found.
WL