Pretty harsh, Wilson ... and also pretty much wrong.  I use a KAT2 with my K2, and KAT3 with my K3, and used the KXAT1 with my KX1 before I sold it, and they all work just fine ... all bands.  Currently, the only manual tuner I own is a homebrew Z-match W8FGU made for me.  I use it with a QRPp Rockmite.

My end fed antennas usually have a counterpoise [not a "ground'] but the one at home uses the outer surface of the coax shield from the transformer on the fence into the house as a counterpoise.  No earth electrode.  No RF burns.  Internet modem and router are not confused, neither is the phone system.

If you're having problems, email me.  Contrary to Wilson's lecture, you don't need to be an EE or PhD to be a successful amateur.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County