Well, not really, Mike.  The magnitude of the impedance at the end of a wire can vary from low to very high [several thousand ohms] depending on its electrical length.  As David pointed out, the general Elecraft ATU design is an L-network using relays to combine various fixed values of inductance and capacitance.  I believe my KX1 had 64 possible combinations, the KAT2 has more, and the KAT3 has even more I think.  While the ATU may not be able to directly match extremely high or low impedances, a simple transformer will usually get the value into a range that can be matched.  My end-fed WOOF has a transformer at the feed point ... don't know if it's 4:1 [16:1 Z ratio], or 9:1 [81:1 Z ratio], but the KAT3 and KAT2 both find matches in the 1.0:1 - 1.3:1 range on all bands.  It is located on the fence, about 10 ft from the shack entrance weatherhead, but is fed through 100 ft of RG-8 right now ... long story involving my wife. 😉  While I can get a match on 6 m and occasionally hear signals, no one has ever answered my calls.  10 - 160 work fine.

I don't know what algorithm Elecraft uses to search for a match, it's probably proprietary, but I'd guess its based on some variant of a steepest descent design.  Before microprocessors, some hams used an analog ATU design, often in mobile installations.  A coupler sensed both the voltage and current in the feedline at the antenna and a phase comparator operated a motor driving a variable capacitor in an L-network to the zero phase difference point.  Small loops often use this design today.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County