The HW-16 was a great rig back then, with silent QSK and a good crystal
filter.

I remember getting frustrated one night, and I cranked the PWR knob past
the red mark on the plate-current meter that showed the 75-watt Novice DC
input plate current limit.  I had just turned 17, and worked 50 hrs at
$2/hr to buy that kit.  I was going to get a QSO that night even though I
knew the FCC would soon be battering down my door and dragging me away in
handcuffs.

Good times.

73 Eric WN6RVG