After reading Don's (W3FPR) AGC procedure, curiosity got the best of me.  I set
up my parameters as he stated and was surprised to find a considerable
difference between AGC ON and AGC OFF with AGC OFF being considerably louder.
I am going to remove R1 (71K) from the Control Board and substitute a pot to
find the proper resistance value.  I understand this pot should be adjusted to
where the AGC ON and OFF should be just about the same with the RF gain set
fully clockwise.  If I remember correctly a 100K pot should be used to
establish the value of R1.  Is this the correct procedure?   Roy Morris  W4WFB
Checked by AVG Free Edition.