Roy,

You must have misread something (or did a typo).  The stock value for
Control Board R1  on the older boards is 51k.  A 50k pot will do the task
for you, or a 20k pot in series with a 33k resistor.  I typically find that
a 39k, 36k or 33k resistor will set the proper level, but I have also found
that the stock 51k value is OK in some cases.  I would hesitate to go below
33k at R1 because as I have mentioned before, the S-meter settings (and
readings) become 'funny' (that is tech-speak for too critical).

I have not yet discovered a concise set of parameters for determining what
the value should be, but I do know that the exact output from the 8 volt
regulator is a large factor - if you have 8.2 volts or more from the
regulator, the stock value is likely correct.  I suspect (but cannot
substantiate nor quantify) that there are minor dfferences in the gain vs.
AGC voltage at the IF amp chip that also come into the picture.

Your procedure is correct, but I would recomend the smaller value for the
pot - the 100k will work, but the adjustment will be more 'touchy' compared
with a smaller value.  Set it to the point where the AGC ON noise is just
barely discernable from the AGC OFF.

73,
Don W3FPR