I'm starting work on a magloop project. I wonder how hard it would be to have a transceiver tell the magloop what frequency it's tuned to? That could operationally be simpler than having to hit it with low-power RF so it can tune
itself...

                   - Jerry, KF6VB

On 2022-08-23 14:28, Geoffrey Feldman wrote:
If your antenna is a magloop - DO NOT USE the tune button. In fact, clear
the tuner memory for your band per instructions.   The tuner feature
(assuming you have the option) is great with other antennas, especially
random wire but it doesn't go well with mag loops.  The xmit button is
simply "PTT".

For any mag loop, choose a frequency you wish to start work, somewhere in the middle of the band. Mag Loops are high Q antennas, that is they are effective in a very narrow range of frequencies to which they are adjusted with the tuning box. This fact should inform your thoughts on effective
use.

Turn the tuning dial (ON THE MAG LOOP) until you hear the maximum amount of noise (or blessed with a real signal). The antenna and the radio are now
tuned.

Turn the KX3 tuning knob SLOWLY until you hear some kind of interesting
signal.  (PX3 is great for this too).

Tweak the tuning knob on the mag loop to get the strongest signal for your exact frequency. (just a tweak). This is important even if you hear the
signal, to get the most efficient use of transmitter.

If while seeking a station you hear a lot less static, adjust the mag loop
as above.

IF seeking up and down the band, just rinse and repeat as above until you
get a station to work.

Once the mag loop is tuned to the band, you won't have to adjust it much to tune it for the particular part of the band you are on. Gentle tweaks is the way. Notice too, mag loops are very directional. Consult the manufacturing manual for where it's sensitive and turn it along a great circle to where you want to go. (In Boston, where I live, Europe is north east by great
circle.

I note there is something about tuning the radio in some mag loop
instructions. I find this not necessary with the KX3. What I describe here
is what I do and it works well.

I have contacted Europe USB with a KX3 at 15 watts and a mag loop.  The
antenna was on the top floor of my wood frame town house for this, not even outdoors. If you think about what I wrote, you want the antenna in arm's length while working the radio. Don't worry about your body affecting the
near field. Mag Loops are not like that.

-73-

W1GCF

Geoff

Message delivered to je...@tr2.com