Well, the reason I mentioned the 50 ohm resistor is that a year or so ago somebody on this reflector mentioned that he did a direct comparison between an AX1 with the recommended 13 foot wire counterpoise and with no counterpoise at all.  I don't remember for certain but I think he said he used the RBN.   I do remember that he said the difference in signal strength was about 30 db.  For grins I used EZNEC to model a single 50 hm resistor 15 feet off the ground with and without a 13 foot wire hanging from one end of it.  I got 30 db difference in calculated signal strength.

I am by no means claiming that is a definitive or even relevant test ... I just think it would be interesting to actually do an empirical comparison.

It is my opinion, however, that most of the radiating on an AX1 (or any other short loaded whip) is being done by the counterpoise wire and/or the shield of the coax.  The coil and whip are matching aids.  If so, it's possible that a resistor would accomplish the same thing.  ;)

As I said, I'd be willing to do the comparison if anyone is willing to lend me an AX1.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

73,
Dave   AB7E