I've long wondered why hams haven't done more with Franklin verticals?  KFBK [1530 kHz in Sacramento] uses one located in the southern end of the Sacramento Valley, and it's known as a Flame Thrower.  I think KNBC [680 kHz?] in SF had one back in the 50's sometime too.  They're big at MF, but much more tractable at HF, and they are amenable to loading techniques.  I built one [fairly heavily loaded] out of Buddipole parts I had, and its performance, particularly when I was still activating summits, was surprising.  Like a small loop, the Franklin pretty much ignores ground ... although KFBK's probably likes being located in rice fields filled with water. 😉

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County