If I were in that situation, I would in fact appreciate an email every so
often saying "we still need widgets and they're still out of stock and
there's still no ETA" (or "we got the widgets but they are of substandard
quality", or "we're working on re-engineering it to use a doodad instead").

Periodic status updates are a way of showing you're still working on the
problem, even if there's no new news.