Bernie,

I think Heil microphones are overpriced, but if you like the looks of them, the perhaps that is an over-riding factor.

You can plug any mic with a Kenwood 8 pin connector into the front mic jack.  There are many Kenwood compatible mics on the market - but stay away from the amplified types (or turn the preamp off if it has one).  Most are dynamic mics, so turn bias off.

Take a look at Universal Radio for decent prices.

If you would like a headset mic, I have 2 of the Yamaha CM500s that I like - you can plug those directly into the rear jacks for headphones and mic.  Whatever the sales literature says, it has an electret mic, so it needs bias turned on (unless you use the little battery box that comes with it. Look at audio stores to source this headset - Sweetwater Sounds, B&H Photo are 2 reputable places that I know of.

Actually most any computer type microphone will work fine, and they are quite inexpensive.  They are all electret type and need bias turned on.

Finally, you can tailor the sound of any mic using the TX EQ built into the K3 - no need for a specially shaped microphone response. See Jim Brown K9YC's recommendations (repeated many times on this reflector) for your initial settings. Those settings are for communications clarity and not for "broadcast quality".  If you want "broadcast quality", you should be buying a broadcast station IMHO, not ham radio communications.

73,
Don W3FPR