* On 2022 09 Nov 22:20 -0600, Jim Brown wrote:
> When answering a CQ, send ONLY your call, and never repeat anything that the
> other station copied correctly. For example, if he sent your call correctly
> when he responded to you, don't repeat your call when sending your exchange.
> And when you're the caller, never send the other station's call unless
> there's confusion about who's working who. :) As Bob, K6XX, says when he's
> teaching new contesters, "I know MY call, the only one I need is YOURS!

I have a couple of thoughts on this advice, Jim.

First, I agree wholeheartedly about ONLY sending your call.  Field Day
is one of the most frustrating events as it is rife with bad
habits--pretty much limited to phone.  I have tried to train others not
to do those bad habits and guess what, apparently it is too difficult to
accept being different (I've been different all my life so I am
comfortable here) and they do all the bad habit things they're hearing.
The last couple of times I just gave up and stuck to the CW band!

We had one op that always would send the exchange whenever the other
station had only asked for a repeat of our call.  I tried and tried to
get him to stop doing that as it just made the QSO much longer than
necessary as the flow of the exchanges got all goofed up.  In his mind
this was apparently proper procedure...

However, I would caution against the answering station NEVER sending his
call again as it is a requirement for a complete SS exchange.  Yes, over
the years I copied a lot of ops that only sent #, Prec, Check, Section
and omitted their call which in retrospect I should have probably
rejected.  But the rules state the call is to be sent between the Prec
and Check (years back I recall a software author from outside the US
stating that the call in the exchange was redundant and when it was
pointed out that the SS rules state it is required as part of the
exchange his retort was that the rules were wrong!)

73, Nate, N0NB

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB