You can power the KAT500 directly from your station 12v power supply.  If
the K3S is taken offline for service you won't have a way to use the KAT500
with your Icom backup radio using your current configuration.

John KK9A

Richard FlatHat W4KBX wrote:

Recently, I bought an IC-7300 as a backup radio, and I've been busy
integrating it into my station in such way that makes it quick and easy to
switch from the K3S to the 7300. Related to that integration I have a
question about powering the KAT500.

Normally, the KAT500 takes its DC power from the K3S. The easiest way to
power the KAT500 when using it with the 7300 is the have to K3S powered up
but not connected to any of the antennas. All of its other radio-to-tuner
cables remain connected as usual.

Is there any way this arrangement can hurt either radio, especially the K3S?
It's already been back to the factory once.

If that's safe for the radios, my IC-7300/KAT500 setup tuner power options
are:

Continue powering the tuner from the K3S. -- My choice.
Temporarily unplug the K3S DC power cable from the KAT500 and plug in a
separate 12-volt supply. This semi-acrobatic feat, performed by touch alone,
must be done every time I switch either way.

I'd prefer to let the K3S power the tuner, but is that safe?

Cheers!

Richard Kunc
W4KBX