Where I used to live I had a ham friend that lived about 5-6 blocks away.
When we were both running Kenwood & Icom rigs we could tell when the other
one was on the same band anywhere.  With the amps on there were times we
could hear each other on adjacent bands.  Then we each built a K3.  Then
even when pushing a little power we had to be within a few KHz of each
other to even be heard.  Since we both operated in many of the same modes
and contests we heard each other often when tuning across a band during a
contest, but by keeping a couple of KHz away we had no issues.

--
Jim K0XU
j...@rhodesend.net