Pete:

The first 4 bars on the K3 ALC are just an audio level indication [i.e. VU meter].  ALC action starts at the 5th bar, which you want to be just flickering.  Unless you have 4 solid bars, the K3 will keep trying to adjust the TX gain to achieve the selected output power and it may not be able to get there with such low audio input, hence the "hunting."

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County