During operation with a home-brew mag-loop antenna, my K3 (#1222) dropped power
to just under 50W (by the display).  There had been an occasional arc in the
external loop tuner, so I'm assuming that was the cause of the K3 failure.
Subsequently, running the 50W TX Gain Calibration, some bands pass but other do
not.  Pass-or-fail, however, power out on the dummy load shows more than 100W
but K3's displayed power is on the order of 50W (definitely not right). Note
that 5W TX Gain Calibration appears to work fine.  During normal keying from a
straight key, output power (seen on dummy load) ramps up quickly with KPA in
operation and I get 100W out (on dummy load) when K3 display shows 40W.
Because I'm getting full power on the dummy load, I'm thinking this must be
something simple like a blown resistor in the metering path or gain-control
circuitry.  I get no error messages during operation and only get the TX Gain
Failure message during calibration. I'd like to try a repair myself and would
appreciate any counsel or direction.
Thanks,Gary, AA0CL