.
> I wonder why I have never seen any mods where a vernier dial has been
added to
> the K1 unit?  Reasons.......???
>
> --
> GB & 73's
> KA5OAI
> Sam Morgan
=====================================
The K1 already has a digital dial so I think you mean a vernier drive.
Remember that the K1 is tuned with a ten turn pot so that is, in effect, a
vernier drive.
I started out with 80 khz but changed to 170 khz so I could use the K1 in
the novice band to work the skcc gang at 7022 khz.  As Mike said, 17 khz per
rev. is not a bad tuning rate.  I think the top of the line rigs of my youth
used 20 or 25 khz rates and that was considered ideal.  The only difference,
these rigs had larger tuning knobs and a little more friction.  I have
installed my K2 tuning knob on the K1 and I like it very much. It just
clears the clear plastic cover for the readout.  It is larger and has brass
weights inside.  I had to ream out the K2 knob with a Dremel tool in my
drill press.  The K1 shaft is 1/4 inch and the K2 shaft is 6mm.  Then I had
to spring for a new  knob for the K2.  About $26 with shipping.  They told
me the brass weight is the reason for the high cost.  I also tried a Sierra
knob.  The same size as the K2 knob but no weight.  Also, no need to drill
out as already 1/4 inch.  It worked well but I like the K2 knob better.  I
am using the metal shaft 10 turn pot on my K1.  Its a little nicer but not
alot of difference.  It may support the heavier knob better.
Rick Dettinger
K7MW