Mike Morrow wrote:
Larry wrote

I am building the K1 with the 4 band filter board. I am at the step where I must decide which VFO range to choose, 150 kHz or 80 kHz. I would like to hear from those who have built this receiver and why they made the choice they did.

Larry,

I've used the 170 kHz (that's what you'll actually get) VFO span on my K1 for
the last five years.  With the small mod described below, I find it very easy
to control.  It allows me to cover all of the 40m CW band, and to get 10 MHz
WWV on the 30m band.  It also allows coverage of most of the CW portion of 15m,
which will be more valuable when the solar cycle starts to pick up again in a
few years.  You'll be able to tune about 20 kHz into the lower part of the 40m
phone segment.  Since the K1 receiver always functions in LSB mode, it would be
possible to have cross-mode QSOs at the lower end of 40m, should the need arise.

You will get responses stating how quickly the K1 tunes with the larger span, but 17
kHz/turn is *not* a very rapid tuning rate.  What I think most of these folks are
actually experiencing is a problem that results from the the VFO potentiometer shaft
having very very little resistance to rotation.  It is very easy to cause unintended dial
adjustment as you remove your fingers from the knob.  With a 80 kHz span, the effects of
this are far less apparent.  The solution is simple.  Get a sheet of thin felt material
and cut several circular, holed, "washers" which can be laid around the VFO pot
shaft, between the back of the VFO knob and the front of the panel.  Add just enough
layers until you get a very slight resistance to motion, while the knob still remains
easy and smooth to turn.  Then it will be very easy to let go of the knob without
introducing unwanted changes.

I would never go back to 80 kHz.

73,
Mike / KK5F
K1 #175

Thanks for the info. With what you have said along with other responses I am going to set up my K1 for 170 kHz.

Larry
KB5DXY